Democratic forces were not ready to the Square, which they were calling on. The main problem was that everything happened as usual, unfortunately, as the Belarusian politics have been made over the last ten years.
This opinion was expressed in an interview with UDF.BY by the co-chairman of the organizing committee of the Belarusian Christian Democracy party, Pavel Sevyarynets.
- What conclusions have you made a year after the presidential elections took place? Were there any mistakes that could been avoided?
- This year has shown, that we did not think over a lot of things. This had very serious consequences not only for ourselves, but for the whole country.
Today we ended up in the economic crisis, the full dependence on Russia, tightening the screws ... One of the reasons is unreadiness of democratic forces to the Square, which they were calling on. For me, the main problem was that everything happened as usual, unfortunately, as the Belarusian politics have been made over the last ten years. It seemed, all the opponents of the regime gathered there, everybody for democracy, but inside there were no use. The Square didn't begin with a prayer, as it was at the Ukrainian Maydan or during the actions of Solidarnosc in Poland.
-What did it testify to?
- It showed the lack of spirit, lack of unity - of the real, deep, not in words, not in coalitions, but the unity in that we're going to do, in what kind of Belarus we are going to build. Mistakes, strictly speaking, were of the spiritual, psychological, political order. Alas, one cannot restore the time, one can only work with mistakes, and try to fix something that can be fixed.
- You want to say, that democratic activists are guilty of the rally's crackdown?
- No. Of course, we cannot say, that democratic forces are guilty. Regime is responsible for the crackdown, but we should also take our share of responsibility for the situation, and I personally.
- By the way, many are interested in the question of responsibility: why the presidential candidate Vital Rymasheuski is free, and the head of his election campaign is serving a term?
- This question is for the regime, because it makes such decisions. But I think, the point is that Vital was promoted during the campaign as a presidential candidate, met with a lot of European politicians. Probably, serious contacts, that we have with the Christian Democrats of Lithuania, Germany, Poland, Holland, have played their role. In addition, Vital was organizing the people, who kept off those pogrom-makers from the doors of Government House. It constantly appeared in the investigation. I think, it had a certain importance ...