World hockey championship will not be moved from Minsk, official says
28 декабря 2012, 13:26
The 2014 World Ice Hockey Championship will not be moved from Belarus to a different country, Yawhen Vorsin, chairman of the country's hockey federation, told reporters in Minsk on December 27.
"Certain people and organizations called for a boycott of the world championship in Minsk or its removal due to some political considerations," he said.
"All these attempts were rejected at the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF)'s congress. I suggest that we no longer bring up the subject. I assure [you] that the championship will take place in Minsk."
Three teams of IIHF experts visited Minsk between September and December to inspect preparations for the event and did not find any flaws, according to Mr. Vorsin.
The official said that Minsk can host up to 20,000 hockey fans during the championship. People traveling to Minsk for the tournament will find accommodation in hotels and university dormitories. Students will have to move out of their rooms in the dormitories one month before the start of the event.
Tickets to the games will cost between €9 and €40, Mr. Vorsin said. The formula of the tournament is not yet known.
Earlier this year, many Western politicians called for removing the 2014 world championship from Belarus because of widespread human rights abuse and the lack of democracy.
However, the IIHF confirmed at its congress this past May that the 2014 event would take place in Minsk as scheduled.